Managing Chronic Pain in America – Part 2

According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, there were 2.1 million people addicted to prescription opioid drugs and 467,000 people addicted to heroin in the United States as of 2012. Why are so many people taking these drugs illegally? Are they all bored teenagers wanting to experiment with drugs? Are they down-on-their-luck adults looking to escape their depressing realities? Maybe. However, I want to present another type of drug addict. It is the addict that looks like your average American – going to school, working hard, raising a family, following their dreams. And then one day pain enters their life, a pain that does not go away. A pain that refuses to heal after the injury that caused it has healed. I am talking about chronic pain.

There is a lot of debate regarding how many Americans suffer from chronic pain. The Institutes of Health’s 2012 study estimated that around 100 million people suffer from chronic pain (defined as anyone with moderate to severe pain occurring within the past four weeks). The 2011 Journal of Pain study estimated a more conservative number of 39 million people (defined as anyone with frequent or constant pain experienced most days within the preceding three months).

If we leave behind the semantics of defining chronic pain, we still face a staggering number of people with this condition. According to an article published by the National Institutes of Health, only about 5% of pain patients who take opioid painkillers as directed actually abuse them. So what does that mean? It sounds like the DEA and FDA want to throw the baby out with the bath water by decreasing access to pain medications for chronic pain sufferers. Why are we willing to punish 95% of chronic pain patients to a lower quality of life simply because the other 5% has a problem? Should we not do a better job of weeding out those 5% and getting them treatment options that do not include pain medications? It is great that health insurance plans cover pain medications and drug addiction programs. But why do they not cover more options in between these two extremes?

If pain patients had more evidence-based treatment options covered by their health insurance plans… If the National Institutes of Health allocated a greater percentage of funding to pain research… If we, as a society, did not label people in pain asking for help as drug seekers… If we would only show a little compassion to those in pain…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: